Saturday, February 17, 2007

Irfan


Irfan
Originally uploaded by travelling writer.
Date: November 4th,2006.
Place:Russel Market, Bangalore

I thought child labour was banned in my country. But poverty I guess forces children to work.

Irfan, works along with his friend and another lady who runs this service of cleaning prawns for customers after they have struck a deal with one of the sellers in Russel market.

Initially, Irfan ran away when I tried to photograph him. Somebody played a joke on him be telling him that I would give his photograph to the police and that scared him. Later, he walked up to me and asked me why am I giving his pictures to the cops?Upon hearing the truth from me he realised he was a victim of a practical joke. After a hearty laugh he went back to business as usual.

3 comments:

Srik said...

Very very touching. Sad but the truth.

Nishant Ratnakar said...

Yeah Sriks.. its the sad truth of a developing economy.

Unknown said...

good article. a sad truth. the sadder truth is that most of us(I myself am guilty as charged) eventually learn to just shrug and walk away.